RE: [xsl] Re: Getting the value of an entity

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Getting the value of an entity
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:37:03 +0100
> I still have a problem with the use of a xslt stylesheet and a
> xml document that include other xml subdocuments declared as
> unparsed entity.
>
> In the book "Structuring XML Documents" is recommended  that
> when you want to include a subdocuments in a xml document you
> should the following scheme
> - First, declare a notantio for the XML documents
>       <!NOTATION XML SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/XML/";>
> - Second, declare an NDATA entity for each subdocuments
>       <!ENTITY chap01 SYSTEM "chap01.xml" NDATA XML>
>       <!ENTITY chap02 SYSTEM "chap02.xml" NDATA XML>
> - Third, declare an element type (usually empty) with an
>   ENTITY attribute to act as a placeholder for the subdocuments
>       <!ELEMENT chapter-ptr EMPTY>
>       <!ATTLIST chapter-ptr source ENTITY #REQUIRED>

Well, there are certainly people who like to do things this way,
especially people who have long years experience of SGML. For my part, I
*never* use entities of any kind to link together the parts of a
composite document. I simply use a URI in one document to point to the
other related documents, and use the XSLT stylesheet to assemble the
information I need using the document() function. I do it this way
because it gives me far more control over how the information is
assembled and how the relationships are managed.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx