[xsl] How to preserve numerical representation of chars when parsing?

Subject: [xsl] How to preserve numerical representation of chars when parsing?
From: Thomas Brand <brand@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:40:40 +0200

Hello dear xslt-lover/ xslt-developer,

I have a problem that seems to be not that easy to solve.

In my xml instance doc, several characters are coded as numerical representations, i.e.:

&#171; = << &laquo;
&#187; = >> &raquo;
&#038; = &  &amp;
&#034; = "  &quot;
&#039; = ´  &Apostroph;
&#060; = <  &lt;
&#062; = >  &gt;
&#035; = #  (Hash);

The instance doc must be transformed with a stylesheet to a new doc.

Now here comes the difficulty: the customer wants all numerical representations to be preserved in the resulting doc.

As far as i know, a xml parser expands all references by default to it's corresponding characters when first loading a doc.

Is there any possibility to let the numerical references pass transparently?
If not, what would be a good solution?

Any hints are appreciated
 Thomas Brand