RE: [xsl] speed questions

Subject: RE: [xsl] speed questions
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:30:00 +0100
> I have a xml dictionary file with about 95000 entries, 20
> Megabytes in
> size. Due to its nature I need to do searching amongst different
> criterias (languages, substring matching, ...) and I intend
> to use XSL
> for it.
> Now - judging from my latest experiments - I wonder if
> xml/xsl is a good
> choice for implementing such a thing, since - given my present
> understanding of xml/xsl - each time I invoke the
> xsl(t)-processor the
> file is read (flatly) again.

No, every XSLT processor has an API that allows you to build the tree
once, in memory, and then do multiple transformations on it (using
different stylesheets, or using the same stylesheet with different
parameters).

However, if you can't keep the data in memory between the different
searches, then an XML database would probably be a good solution. Take a
look at Software AG's Tamino.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx