Re: [xsl] Autogenerating XPath from XML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Autogenerating XPath from XML?
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:23:52 +0100
Hi Kenji,

> I'm looking for a way to programatically create a list of XPaths
> based on a given XML document. I can easily create an XPath that
> will sort of work with a standard XML document that doesn't have
> multiple items of the same name.

The easiest thing to do is to use xsl:number to number the elements
amongst their siblings. Try iterating over the elements as follows to
create the path to the current element:

  <xsl:for-each select="ancestor-or-self::*">
    <xsl:text />/<xsl:value-of select="name()" />
    <xsl:text />[<xsl:number />]<xsl:text />
  </xsl:for-each>

Cheers,

Jeni

---