Re: [xsl] PDF to FO tool?

Subject: Re: [xsl] PDF to FO tool?
From: Max Froumentin <mf@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:48:53 +0200
"Max Dunn" <maxdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Nowhere did I (or would I) say that SVG fills any of the roles that
> FO fills (pagination-related, flow-related...).

However, it could very well happen:

SVG 1.2/2.0 requirements:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2Reqs/

- SVG may provide a page description model, allowing page breaks to be
defined in SVG content.

- SVG 1.2 should allow word wrapping and forced line breaks for text
  within multiple rectangles

> I think the future is multiple XML namespaces inline. The main role for
> SVG to me would be SVG in FO, SVG in XHTML, etc. Generated from the XML
> via XSLT, of course.

[a bit off-topic but I can't help mentioning it] This will not happen
without a standard description of how different pieces of software
(which each understand one namespace) can fit together to produce the
final rendering of the document. A bit like plug-ins currently do, but
with much more interactions between components.  There is a W3C
requirements documents for such an architecture, but no working group
has been formed yet.

> Does FO somehow obviate the need for PDF in your world? I always thought
> FO->PDF is just fine, though FO->SVG(plus the three or so features it
> would need to replace PDF) might be better.

Yes, that would make things like fo:multi-switch implementable. But who
needs them? ;-)

MaxF.

PS. just resubscribed to the list, sorry if I repeated earlier points
  in this thread.