Re: [xsl] Selecting all ancestors

Subject: Re: [xsl] Selecting all ancestors
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:35:19 +0100
Hi Juan,

> I'm trying to select the ancestors for the specific
> catid using the SelectSingleNode method.

As you might be able to guess from the name, selectSingleNode()
selects a single node -- you can't get *all* the ancestors that way.
Instead, you need to use selectNodes(), which will return a NodeList.

> I have tried ancestor::cat specifiying the value of
> the attribute but it only returns one node depending
> on how many cat's level I include in my XPath.
> This tree is dynamic and it can have multiple levels

It would really help us to help you if you posted the code that you're
trying to use. Presumably you've tried something like:

  cat = doc.selectSingleNode("//cat[@id = '" + catid + "']");
  ancestors = cat.selectNodes("ancestor::cat");

?

Cheers,

Jeni

---