Re: [xsl] XSL-FO Footnotes

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO Footnotes
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:53:19 -0500
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

Is there any way to solve this, or is there an assumption that there will be
only one reference to each footnote in a single document.

afaik xsl 1.0 doesn't support detached footnote references, fo:footnote
formatting object generates both footnode reference and body. You can try to
generate only one footnote and ask for keeping some block, containing all your footnote references on the same page, or may be markers can help you, not sure.

I haven't tried it yet, but since you are generating the footnote from some markup, you should be able to just have subsequent references to the footnote generate the appropriate number (just as you would for any other cross reference) without creating footnote proper. This assumes that that footnote itself should occur only once in the doc.

If what you want is the footnote to appear on a page if and only if it is the first reference on that page, no way to do that in XSL 1.0. I think this comes under the requirement I submitted a week or so ago to be able to do page-location-sensitive stuff at the FO level, such as putting out a page reference for a cross ref only if the thing referenced is not on the same page as the reference. Should be easy enough to express this in the FO markup and easy enough for implementations to resolve it at pagination time (but easy for me to say, having never tried to implement FO).

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx