[xsl] Re: Accounting for Arbitrary Wrappers Without Going Mad

Subject: [xsl] Re: Accounting for Arbitrary Wrappers Without Going Mad
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> You would not have such big problems, in case Epic did not use
> wrappers, but just a simple attribute belonging to their namespace.
>
> Therefore, if I were in your place, I would try a two-phase approach:
>
> 1. Convert the Epic editor's markup into an intermediate one, where
> changes are tracked in attributes (or why not even get rid completely
> of Epic's "added value").
>
> 2. Perform my regular transformation on the standard XML structure
> (just ignoring or copying the tracking attributes)
>
> 3. (Only if necessary) convert the result back to Epic's wrappers.

Or a similar approach would be to retrieve all Epic's elements (without
the nodes they wrap) in a separate document, in the original document
get rid of the wrappers, then perform the transformation.

To be able to do so it would be necessary to have a unique ID for every
wrapped node and to use this unique ID in an Epic element that wraps
the node that has this unique ID.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.