Re: [xsl] Spliting one XML to multiple XML docs using XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Spliting one XML to multiple XML docs using XSL
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:55:22 -0700 (MST)
Dennis wrote:
> Hi Mitch,
>
> Thanks for your time but I think XSLT 2.0 is in draft
> stage. I can't use it in my product.
>
> The xsl:document you are telling doesn't seem to be
> standard. I have seen xsl:output as the standard
> neither is the case with xsl:result-document ...
> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Let me know if there is any way of splitting XML with
> standard XSL.

It's not built-in in XSLT 1.0, no.

You can see if your XSLT processor supports EXSLT, in which case there is an
exsl:document extension element (xmlns:exsl="http://exslt.org/common";) that
you can read about at http://www.exslt.org/exsl/elements/document/index.html

Or you can see if your XSLT processor supports extension functions (most do),
in which case you can write one that takes a result tree fragment and a
destination file/stream/whatever as arguments. Build up your output in the
content of an xsl:variable element and then pass that variable to the function
along with the destination stream, which can be a string for a filename or an
object you created with another extension function call. The first extension
function needs to be able to serialize the result tree fragment, which may or
may not be difficult depending on the XSLT processor's API. Check your docs.

   - Mike