[xsl] Excel XML tranformation

Subject: [xsl] Excel XML tranformation
From: "Thomas V. Nielsen" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:53:28 +0100
I have been doing a bit searching on the subject at Google and MSKB, but so
far I have not found a solution.

When you save an Excel spreadsheet as XML MS does it in something the
apparently call XML Spreadsheet format (XMLSS).

My problem is that does not save the "empty" cell, but refer to the next
available cell by using a index, like;

<Row>
	<Cell>
		<Data ss:Type="Number">37530</Data>
	</Cell>
	<Cell>
		<Data ss:Type="Number">43805</Data>
	</Cell>
	<Cell ss:Index="8">
		<Data ss:Type="String">IRcover.jpg</Data>
	</Cell>
	<Cell>
		<Data ss:Type="String">Irwin-b.eps</Data>
	</Cell>
	<Cell>
		<Data ss:Type="String">ir43805.eps</Data>
	</Cell>
</Row>

In this example of Excel generated XML the row to cells with numbers, and
then five empty cells between the numbers and the string "IRcover.jpg"

What I would like is to find a lot of information about transforming and
working with Excel XML, preferably other resources than MS, and mot of all,
a XSL the could "fill in the blanks" so to speak, in the Excel XML.

Maybe I just need to figure out how much you actually can do with XSL, but
the way I use the Excel XML is to loop through the row data, and the pick
out the cells I need like ss:Cell[n]\ss:Data.

In the Excel XML I use the data in ss:Cell[3]\ss:Data, but in the example
data, that would pick the wrong cell, and give my the "IRcover.jpg"

<Thomas/>