[xsl] swapping context, a grouping problem.

Subject: [xsl] swapping context, a grouping problem.
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:27:10 -0000
I'm processing some stuff that is derived from db tables.

The main content (input document) is of the form

<doc>
  <entry>
    <cat>category number </cat>
    <section>section number </section>
  </entry>
</doc>

For grouping, I have two other files cat.xml and section.xml

cat.xml (the cat numbers increment from 1)

<doc>
  <entry>
   <cat>cat number</cat>
   <ttl>category title </ttl>
  </entry
</doc>

and section.xml
<doc>
  <entry>
  <section>section number</section>
  <ttl>section title</ttl>
  </entry>
</doc>

Its a case of grouping them by category and section to provide

<cat>
   <hd>Category title </hd>
  <sect>
   <hd>Section title </hd>
     <entry>
     </entry

I.e. to group by category then section.

with context doc in the main file I have

<xsl:template name="catSequence">
  <xsl:param name="cats" select="document('category.xml')/doc"/>
  <xsl:param name="idx" select="1"/>

  <xsl:if test="$idx &lt;= count($cats/entry)">
    <xsl:variable name="thisCat" select="$cats/entry[$idx]/categoryID"/>
    <!-- All entries in this category -->
    <xsl:variable name="ents" select="entry[cat=$thisCat]"/>

    <category><head><xsl:value-of
select="$cats/entry[categoryID=$thisCat]/category_Nam"/></head>
    <section>
      <xsl:for-each
select="document('section.xml')/doc/entry[categoryID=$thisCat]">
        <xsl:copy-of
select="key('catandsection',concat(cat,'and',SectionID))"/>
      </xsl:for-each>

    </section>

    </category>
    <xsl:call-template name="catSequence">
      <xsl:with-param name="idx" select="$idx + 1"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:key name="cat"
  match="entry"
  use="cat"/>

<xsl:key name="catandsection"
  match="entry"
  use="concat(cat, 'and', SectionID)"/>

the problem is that the keys are operating in a different document,
hence the context is wrong to copy the entries through from the main source
file.

I can't figure a way of getting the section titles without iterating through

them (in the sections.xml document) which screws the context up for the rest
of
the processing.

Any help appreciated.

Regards DaveP.

**** snip here *****

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk