Re: [xsl] monotonous nbsp coding

Subject: Re: [xsl] monotonous nbsp coding
From: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:18:13 -0800

Greg Faron <gfaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    Wendell posted "not(string())", but according to topxml.com (I know,
> it's not the canonical source), a call to string() with no arguments
always
> returns the empty string.  I haven't verified that one either way...

topxml.com is wrong.  From the XPath recommendation:

   "The string function converts an object to a string as follows:

   A node-set is converted to a string by returning the string-value of the
   node in the node-set that is first in document order. If the node-set is
   empty, an empty string is returned.

   If the argument is omitted, it defaults to a node-set with the context
   node as its only member."

See:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-String-Functions

Dave