RE: [xsl] linking to and displaying xsl templates

Subject: RE: [xsl] linking to and displaying xsl templates
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:51:31 -0500
Jesse,

When one of your links is traversed, what document should load?

In most architectures, the file loaded will be another HTML document, which may also happen to be created from XML source using a stylesheet (which is what you say you want to do). (The usual scenario runs the transformations on the server or in a batch process, and the browser never sees anything but HTML. Perhaps this isn't your case?)

That is, the generated link points to a document you will generate -- not to its XML sourcer (what you say you want), which resides in a separate laye, nor to your stylesheet (what your code implies you want to do by pointing to templates).

If you want to generate both a table of contents, and broken-out HTML files from a single XML source, and have all the links point correctly to each other -- this is definitely possible with XSLT. XSLT is also capable of describing transformations into formats suitable for other architectures.

Please clarify?

Cheers,
Wendell