Re: [xsl] Let's face it: side effects are sometimes necessary!

Subject: Re: [xsl] Let's face it: side effects are sometimes necessary!
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:25:08 -0500

David Carlisle wrote:

  i.e, you don't allow variables inside template
  match patterns.

you do in xslt2 I think, don't you (it's too late to read teh spec now
(or ever:-)

David

PS
I don't agree with the subject line:-)

Oh, you do now, well that's great! Thanks for letting me know. It's never too late to read a spec by the way :-) :-)

Let me tickle a bit: you don't agree with the subject line, but
how do you suppose one could use XSLT to execute a transaction
in an information system? By definition this is using side-
effects. XML driven JDBC calls through XSLT is where I find the
best use of XSLT right now (I'm not a web-designer, but a
passionate XSLT user.)

thanks,
-Gunther

-- Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D. gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Medical Information Scientist Regenstrief Institute for Health Care Adjunct Assistant Professor Indiana University School of Medicine tel:1(317)630-7960 http://aurora.regenstrief.org