[xsl] Re: Announcement netiquette

Subject: [xsl] Re: Announcement netiquette
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:47:30 -0700 (MST)
G. Ken Holman wrote:
> >There are enough other resources
> >where to find information about new XML products. What would happen if every
> >xml software vendor was announcing his software on this list
>
> Although that particular announcement was a bit lengthy, I personally
> appreciate new product announcements on this list so that I don't have to
> go and hunt and peck trying to find out what is new.
>
> I hope vendors will continue to post *short* announcements using a
> hyperlink for more detail to help with the awareness.

I'm mostly in agreement, but I think that part of his point is that in this
case it was a general XML product, not specifically an XSL-FO or XSLT product.
While the vendor may claim "of course it's relevant; XSL is XML, isn't it? Who
on this list doesn't edit XML?", it's much the same logic as every spammer
uses when they hawk their wares far and wide.

Personally, I feel that the more focused the forum, the more the announcement
should be tailored for it. If it's a product that's 90% general XML and 10%
XSLT, it better be a pretty short post here on xsl-list, or it should go into
more detail than the general announcement would about the XSL-related
features, and not devote as much copy to the irrelevant aspects, even if
that's the bulk of the software.

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/