RE: [xsl] Questions about footnotes

Subject: RE: [xsl] Questions about footnotes
From: Stuart Brown <sbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:01:32 -0000
Hi Gustaf,

> 1. The first is off-topic to XSL, but I expect to find the
> knowledge among
> you. If a footnote number appears at the end of a sentence,
> should it be
> before or after the period? I've seen both. Is it a matter of
> culture? Do
> you prefer this?

I prefer to put the footnote after the period if it is a clarification of
the whole clause, or before it if it merely refers to word(s) which happen
to end the sentence.

> 2. Sometimes there are more footnotes on one sentence:
>
>   ...and three footnotes.^[1, 2, 3] <-- This means everything
>                                         inside the brackets are
>                                         in superscript.
>
> The markup (abbreviated) may look like this:

You need to test if the following node (no matter what type it is) is a
note. following-sibling::*[1] will return the next element node, and so
would return true for "hello<note/> world<note/>" so you need:

<xsl:if test="following-sibling::node()[1][self::note]">

is the correct test. This would, however, fail if there was white space
between the nodes and you did not have xsl:strip-space in place.

> 3. I forgot the third question while writing. It will pop up
> when I send this.

The answer's 73.

Hope that helps,

Stuart