Re: [xsl] top level params and xsl:attribute magic?

Subject: Re: [xsl] top level params and xsl:attribute magic?
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:36:04 -0500

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 02:29 AM, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

"S Woodside" <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks, I considered this, but I think that passing the full XPath
makes debugging easier and will be more robust if I change the source
XML (it has a chance of still working, instead of being guaranteed not
to work.)

<snip/>

As for easier debugging when using XPath expressions, this is right, but only in the case we know well the source xml document. In case the transformation is designed to be generic and process *any* source xml document, then in the general case when the structure of the source xml is not known to the programmer, using XPath expressions is exactly as helpful as using another uid system.

In this case, the source XML is guaranteed to be a Relax NG schema.

The big advantage of the coordinate uid method is the fact that nodes
can be located very fast by using a key. Future XSLT processors could
be optimised to automatically maintain the coordinate uid of every
node, so that a programmer would not even have to declare an xsl:key
for node() on its coordinates.

I see. I'll keep it in mind. I like your proposal of a fixed ID function, by the way.

simon
---
www.simonwoodside.com