Re: [xsl] No-output identity template?

Subject: Re: [xsl] No-output identity template?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:07:16 -0500
At 2003-01-23 09:42 -0500, cknell@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have included an XML data document, an XSLT stylesheet, and the resulting output. The XML and XSLT have been severly edited for brevity. The problem I have been working for several hours is the extraneous? "Bugs Bunny" text node output at the end of the output document. I don't know what template or rule is causing its creation,

Your <xsl:apply-templates> in your root node template rule is selecting all child nodes because you do not have a select= attribute. The <item> is one of the child nodes. Without a template rule for <item>, the built-in template rules engage and all children are processed, which includes text nodes. Without a template rule for text nodes, the built-in template rule is adding the text node to the result.

I suspect I need some sort of rule with no output, but I haven't been able to discover what the rule should match.

<xsl:template match="menu/item" mode="sub-menu" priority="-1"/>

This will not conflict with match="item[item]" because the inferred priority of that rule is ".5".

With the above you are suppressing those items that are children of menu that are not matched by another template rule with a higher priority.

Without priority both "menu/item" and "item[item]" will match the node which can be reported as an error by the processor.

I hope this helps.

-- Upcoming hands-on in-depth Europe: February 17-21, 2003 XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc