Re: [xsl] sax or dom in XSLT procesing ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] sax or dom in XSLT procesing ?
From: Oleg Tkachenko <olegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:49:28 +0200
Sherzod Ruzmetov wrote:

:Of course SAX, don't waste memory for superfluous temporary DOM.

I don't think it was a fair answer. Both tokenizing and tree processing have
their pros and cons. Advantages of SAX are:
The question was not about general events vs trees, but specifically, what's the most effective approach for feeding an xslt processor - emitting SAX events or building DOM object. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Disadvantages of SAX are:

  * Easily forgets previous elements it worked on
  * Not easy to re-order elements
  * Cannot validate an XML document
  * Canot easily verify ID-REF links
I'd like to discuss it, but it seems to be sort of offtopic here.

In fact, SAX-like processors are used to produce DOM-like processors.
That's why I have recommended SAX as input for xslt. If almost every xslt processor always builds internal tree from its input, I don't see any advantage of building possible huge DOM object just to move data.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team