[xsl] Are variables allowed in XPATHs?

Subject: [xsl] Are variables allowed in XPATHs?
From: Harry Ohlsen <harryo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:37:22 +1100
I've written some XSL that is parameterised based on a set of variables defined in an xsl:include-ed file. The reason is that I want to separate the generic transformation from the specifics, both to facilitate re-use and to avoid unintentional editing of the XSL when targeting it at a specific instance of the problem.

This seems to work fine with Xalan, but XMLSpy gives me an error, saying that variables and parameters cannot be used in patterns.

Am I doing something that may break if I move from Xalan to another processor, or is XMLSpy just telling me that this is a limitation in its debugger?

I'm particularly interested, since I am in the process of evaluating XMLSpy. If this is a limitation of XMLSpy, can anyone point me to another tool that can handle this kind of code, since I expect to be writing a lot of it.

Of course, if there's a better way to approach the problem, I'd be interested to hear that, too! I've only been hacking at XSLT for about a week, so I'm definitely not au fait with all its facilities, yet.

TIA

Harry O.