Re: [xsl] Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XSLT 2.0
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:31:31 -0500
Michael Kay:
>>>The test case is
>>

>     <xsl:template match="block[@indent]">
>       <xsl:value-of select="string-pad(' ', @indent)"/>
>     </xsl:template>
>
> As I thought I had pointed out, the fact that this doesn't work
> in Saxon 7.4 is a bug (in the working draft). If @indent is an
> untyped attribute node, it should be automatically cast to
> the required type.
>
> So if this is the only test case you can cite, then we're
> doing well...

Thanks Michael, I take your word for it and won't hammer on this
same issue more without more examples. I am also awaiting your
next Saxon release before I try to migrate again (and then will
take it slowly.)

If all untyped nodes will behave like they did in the olden days
then I should be safe if I don't add a schema declaring any
types (whihc I won't.) Certainly there may still be issues with
things like

string-pad(' ', @indent + 2)

because this would @indent + 2 would probably result in an
xs:decimal and not an xs:integer and then there would still be
complaints.

regards,
-Gunther

-- Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D. gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Medical Information Scientist Regenstrief Institute for Health Care Adjunct Assistant Professor Indiana University School of Medicine tel:1(317)630-7960 http://aurora.regenstrief.org