Re: [xsl] UBL Formatting Specifications (Was: UCC.EAN xml schema to format object)

Subject: Re: [xsl] UBL Formatting Specifications (Was: UCC.EAN xml schema to format object)
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 19:52:02 -0500
At 2003-03-03 01:10 +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
I followed the above link and looked at the Invoice example.
Your OfficeInvoiceInstance1 name space viz.

Actually "the" instance, not "my" instance. The UBL committee's LCSC subcommittee has been working hard to create the schemas and the instances of those schemas for examples and these outputs are the results of the efforts of many on the committee. My small contribution was only the example XSLT and XSL-FO and I'm just using the sample instances they created.

The schema instance that we wish to provide a rendering library for is very different
(see http://www.uc-council.org/documents/pdf/EAN.UCC_Business_Message_Standards_Version_1.0.pdf)

- for example it has the following elements:
[see below]

So this is not UBL -

Yes, I see that ... thank you for the UC Council link ... I was unaware of the work.

Any ideas for how we could leverage your fine work for xmlns="http://www.uc-council.org/smp/schemas/...";
Is there a possibility to make a single xslt project in respect of both schemas?

Well, again getting away from actual rendering technologies such as XSLT ... looking at the UC Council site I do not see any formatting specifications. Before you jump into writing XSLT for the UCC schemas, are you not going to have to go through the same major step that I have proposed for UBL: the creation of technology-agnostic formatting specifications? Only then can you actually go and write some stylesheets knowing what it is you want them to produce.

This was the important lesson I learned after I volunteered for the UBL stylesheets. Sure I'll still do some XSLT but it quickly became obvious that the missing link was the lack of formatting specifications, not the lack of stylesheets. Stylesheets are "just a simple matter of some software".

And if the UCC does develop formatting specifications then people with other rendering technologies will be able to contribute to your work.

That is what I hope for UBL: technology-agnostic formatting specifications will spawn multiple implementations in many rendering technologies so that people choosing to use UBL will have a choice about which rendering technology fits in their specific situation.

If they want XSLT, then they could come to Crane (or some other creator of another library) for stylesheets and/or training. If they want to use something else, then another vendor can offer that technology to them.

When we finish the UBL formatting specifications I can compare them to any UCC specs that can be found or made to know better if my work on UBL can be leveraged to the UCC. I should think it wouldn't be a lot of work!

BTW, does the UCC have any story line on the role of ebXML with their product identification and electronic communication? I'm just curious and that can be answered off-line.

I hope this helps!

-- Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO North America: June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc