[xsl] Re: Re: Creating a XSL to return the input

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Creating a XSL to return the input
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 07:20:50 +0100
> > It seems to me that an XSLT processor that does not perform correctly
the
> > identity transform (no offense, but this is difficult to believe)
> > demonstrates a complete lack of any testing...
>
>   Thanks, that's a very useful comment.

Here you misunderstood my statement -- it says nothing in particular about
any specific XSLT processor. What I said was that it was difficult to
believe that *any* XSLT processor would not copy PIs and comments when
performing the identity transform. I am working with quite a number of
them -- SAXON, XALAN - J and C, MSXML3/4, .Net xslTransform... It is the
first time I hear about an XSLT processor having such behaviour -- of course
there are many differences like handling whitespace etc, but not on
performing the identity transform.

The identity transform is used as the base of many types of transformations,
in fact overriding the identity transform is one of the most basic and
common XSLT design patterns used both in practice and as textbook material.
Therefore, it is natural to react to any deviation in the expected behaviour
of the implementation of this transformation.

As for the degree of testing, it seems only natural right from the start to
test at least all code examples from the XSLT spec, and the identity
transform is one of them.

Please, pardon me if I expressed my surprise too obviously.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.