RE: [xsl] First node processed repeatedly

Subject: RE: [xsl] First node processed repeatedly
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:03:11 -0500
[Imrran Wahid]

> I have another problem. If a named element exists in a
> row but not in another, an empty <td> entry is made in
> the row where it's absent. And the cell border does
> not get drawn. This also happens if the element is an
> empty element eg <element/>. How do I detect this and
> allow a non breaking space to be inserted instead? I
> am hoping that would fix the problem. If anyone has
> any ideas I would be grateful.

What you see depends on the browser.  IE draws cell borders, IIRC, even
if they are empty but NS/Mozilla does not.  You can put in a nonbreaking
space with the character reference &#160;, which gives the code-point
for a non-breaking space.

You can use an xsl:if test to see if the cell is going to be empty, but
I sometimes just put in an &# 160; without bothering to test.

Cheers,

Tom P