Re: [xsl] A proposal:xsl:result-document asynchronous attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] A proposal:xsl:result-document asynchronous attribute
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:58:32 +0000
Hi Kurt (and sorry about my typo, Jeni)

Kurt Cagle wrote:

I'd second Francis's note on the idempotency issue. Consider the canonical HTTP GET based web service - the stock market ticker. Such a service will be returning a different result set at any given moment in time, to an extent that you could effectively argue that time itself becomes a parameter in any such service, regardless of the specific implementation. My experience with web services is that most meaningful web service results vary with time.

Now I'm going to play devil's advocate - could you not say that it is realistic to think as something like a stock-market ticker as being idempotent *during the execution* of a single transform?

But - hopping neatly back to my normal side of the barricade - I'd absolutely stick up for random numbers, timestamps and serial interfaces to and from large data sets as examples of interesting and sometimes important non-idempotent features.

Francis.