RE: [xsl] collapsable / expandable tree in XSL

Subject: RE: [xsl] collapsable / expandable tree in XSL
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:17:07 -0500
[Mael Guillemot]

> I went through the archive mails on "disable-output-escaping"
> and the majority of posts deal with how to insert html
> abreviations like &lt;,  &apos; instead of < , '. So I tried
> different ways:
>     =>  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"> <![CDATA[
>     =>  using <xsl:output method="text"/> or  <xsl:output
> method="html"/> at the begining of the stylesheet
>     =>  <processing-instruction name="html"> <![CDATA[ <div
> id="CollapseMenu0Block2"> ]]> </processing-instruction>
>
> but the browser still prints the tag instead of generating an
> node tree and processing it

You would be better off to figure out how to get your output without
using d-o-e.  Undoubtedly it can be done.  The stylesheet has to be
organized so as to create well-formed fragments (that is, complete
elements).

I have made collapsing trees using javascript and css, using xslt to
create the nested <div> elements, and I did not have to use d-o-e to do
it (my method requires the browser to have a decent DOM, though, so it
only works with recent versons of IE and Mozilla-based browsers).

It seems that you want to create the referenced results but not to use
the referenced javascript libraries.  There is therefore no reason to
rely on outdated html-specific (and probably invalid) notions such as
not closing div elements.

Cheers,

Tom P