Re: [xsl] White Spaces

Subject: Re: [xsl] White Spaces
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:40:05 -0700 (MST)
Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
> I have a template rule which builds an HREF tag.  I pass in 3 paramers, an
> special ID, display text, and the HREF value.  This is all good, and working
> the way I'd presume except for the white spaces.  I'm getting a lot... but
> don't understand.  I was assuming that they wouldn't be there at all (by
> default).  Am I now forced to normalize-space?

No, just stop putting all that whitespace in your stylesheet. The stylesheet
is parsed into an XPath node tree just like the source doc, so when you have
whitespace adjacent to non-whitespace text, all of the text goes into a single
text node. Start using xsl:text elements in your stylesheet to portion off the
text. Also consider using concat().

<xsl:attribute name="href">
  <xsl:text>results.asp?ax=9</xsl:text>
  <xsl:if test="string($meetid)">
    <xsl:value-of select="concat('&amp;meetid=',$meetid)"/>
  </xsl:if>
  <xsl:value-of select="$Query"/>
</xsl:attribute>

Mike