RE: [xsl] Re: Documenting XML -and- viewing an XML tree in IE

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Documenting XML -and- viewing an XML tree in IE
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:29:51 -0800 (PST)
--- "bryan" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> >Bryan,
>
> >The posted stylesheet does not generally produce well-formed xml:
>
> no it doesn't, or at least it it doesn't produce a display of
> well-formed xml, this is just a variation of Nate Austin's xsl-t
> version
> of the defaultss.xsl that comes in msxml.dll
> Which was what the original poster wanted access to.
>
> The &amp; problem is a problem of display. Do you think people would
> want that fixed? I don't see it really as the only purpose I can see
> for
> fixing something like that is so you could just copy the text off the
> screen and save it somewhere, you can get that from view source
> anyway
> and if you did something like that you'd have to replace all those
> irritating - signs.

Not only for copying and pasting -- when people see an unescaped
ampersand or any other kind of non-wellformed XML they tend to believe
that this xml is correct. A tool should not confuse its users to think
a non-wellformed XML is wellformed.

The second problem of missing namespace definitions is not only a
display problem.

> Your visualizer works in Mozilla. The defaultss.xsl variation works
> in
> explorer. Maybe it might be a project to combine the two.

XPath Visualizer also works with IE. Historically the IE XPath
Visualiser comes first -- it was developed 2 1/2 years ago.

It provides namespace definitions, but at this moment displays
unescaped ampersands. The Mozilla version has both of these problems
solved just because it was created very recently.

Probably it would be possible to provide a single tool for both IE and
Mozilla using a tool like Manos Batsis' Sarissa.

However, if I find the time I'd be more interested in adding to the
Mozilla version some features from the IE version that it lacks -- e.g.
definition and use of xsl:variable, xsl:key, variable references and
the key() function.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.