[xsl] apply-templates and XHTML's <p> tag

Subject: [xsl] apply-templates and XHTML's <p> tag
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:59:32 -0500
This would be none too hard in Perl. But I am stumped
for it in XSLT. When one does...

<xsl:apply-templates select="foo"/>

...XSLT seeks out and does all the <foo> tags
and inflicts the foo template to them. I get that.

But when parsing an XHTML <p> tag, it may
have text mish-mashed in and between <b> and <i>
and <span> tags...in no fixed order.

I will lose all the style stuff if I just do...

<xsl:template match="p">
  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

all their text siphoned out from them, yes? I don't
want that, obviously.

Cool would be to split <p> into a sequence of <foo>
tags with the <b> and <i> as attributes for some,
not on others.

Can someone point me at a tutorial or how-to which
illustrates an XSLT-ish method for dealing sequentially
with a mixed bunch of text and tags?

Thanks,

Gan
--