Re: [xsl] Calling Java Xalan inside Perl on Unix -- THANKS!

Subject: Re: [xsl] Calling Java Xalan inside Perl on Unix -- THANKS!
From: David McKain <dmckain1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:47:57 +0100
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:45:52PM -0400, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:

> PS: Is there a pure Perl way of XSLT that is as easy
> as calling like above to Java Xalan? I lernt the Java
> way from the XSLT Oreilly book. But it seems a bit silly
> to call Java from Perl (even though it now works fine).

I think this came up about 3 weeks ago - the archive might have some
more useful info. But as far as I know, the only pure Perl module is
XML::XSLT which is slow, doesn't appear to be supported any more and
doesn't implement the full XSLT 1.0 spec so should perhaps be avoided.

The most popular Perl options are XML::LibXSLT (which I've had a lot of
success with) and Sablotron (which I haven't looked at for a couple of
years so can't comment on) but, as I guess you know, both of these are
built on top of C libraries.

XML::LibXSLT is really easy to use and pretty easy to install from
scratch, even if you're not root and have to install everything in your
home directory. (Though I haven't personally tried it on FreeBSD...!) Is
it really not feasible for you to use something like this?

Cheers,
David.