Re: [xsl] How to: Returning HTML Elements From a Saxon Extension Function (6.5.x)

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to: Returning HTML Elements From a Saxon Extension Function (6.5.x)
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:28:14 -0500
W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

1. Is my analysis correct or have I missed some easy way to return this markup?

2. If my analysis is correct, does anyone have an example of doing this sort of off-the-cuff SAX processing I could crib from? I didn't find any examples in the Saxon-supplied samples.

My analysis is correct--turns out one of my collegues had already figured this out and I didn't know it. What I had missed was the the "Parse()" method on the Saxon DocumentBuilderImpl class, which allows you to pass in a string to be parsed more or less directly. Here's the basic pattern:

public NodeInfo generateResultTree(String markup) {
  java.io.ByteArrayInputStream bais = new
                      ByteArrayInputStream(markup.getBytes());
  org.xml.sax.InputSource isource = null;
  try {
     isource = new InputSource(bais);
  } catch (org.xml.sax.SAXException e) {
     e.printStackTrace();
  }
  org.w3c.dom.Document root = new
            com.icl.saxon.om.DocumentBuilderImpl().parse(isource);
  return (NodeInfo)(root.getDocumentElement());
}

Cheers,

--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx