Re: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?

Subject: Re: [xsl] I have the XSLT, now need to make it usable as user-input form?
From: Andrew Watt <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:13:33 +0100
At 09:51 18/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
I've been reading a lot of posts re: xforms, etc., but it doesn't look as if
I could use my xsl (which would be unthinkable!).

Kathy,

I have posted a simple example of producing an XForms-containing document using XSLT. So you can safely discard the unthinkable idea that it would be impossible to use XSLT to produce XForms.

It does become interesting when you have XPath expressions in the XSLT that refer to the source XML document and other XPath expressions in the stylesheet which are literal values of XForms form control attributes. <grin/> It makes things very interesting first time round.

My head is spinning

Ah! Join the club! :)

...I could really use some
pointers-in-the-right-direction for how to best/most easily accomplish the
following:

The xsl/xml instance presents the user with an html form of process steps to
follow. Each step has a checkbox (when checked I want to store the
SystemTime in an attribute value), and there are several user input boxes
along the way. When any user input is made, I do need to either check the
value against the xml attribute (e.g., high/low) and/or record the data (in
case it gets lost before a final form POST. My thought was to SAVE the xml
instance each time the user action occurs, overwriting the xml file each
time until the end of the process is reached.

In XForms probably it would be better simply to update the <jargon>instance data</jargon> then submit later - at least that's what I would be tempted to do.

Does this make sense? Please point me in the right direction. How to capture
data as the user goes along AS AN XML INSTANCE?

XForms will soon be the answer as the W3C means to submit XML data, I think. It is currently at Candidate Recommendation.

The CR is not the most readable document the W3C has ever produced.

Micah Dubinko's draft of an XForms book he is writing is online at http://dubinko.info/writing/xforms/book.html. It is probably the most readable publicly available document on XForms of any length. But it has few complete examples.

BTW Microsoft's InfoPath (currently in beta) looks to have a very similar pattern of thought behind it. It uses XSLT (and JavaScript) under the covers.

Andrew Watt