RE: [xsl] Character entities in attribute values

Subject: RE: [xsl] Character entities in attribute values
From: mark_fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:22:24 -0700
Yes, I guess 'character references' is what I meant.  But, I'm not sure
what you mean when you say 'no sequence of pure XSLT transformations can
lead to this result'.

Do you mean that what I'm trying to do is not supported?  Or that the
escaped ampersands in the output text should not be occurring?

Mark Fletcher
PeopleSoft Language Engineering
925.694.3753
mark_fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Michael Kay"
                      <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>                   To:       xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                          cc:       owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxx        Subject:  RE: [xsl] Character entities in attribute values
                      rrytech.com

                      04/22/2003 11:57 AM
                      Please respond to xsl-list

> I'm working with non-English documentation and am ending up
> with character entities in attribute values after an XML->XML
> conversion.

What exactly do you mean by "character entities"? There is no such thing
in XML. Perhaps you mean "character references", e.g. "&#x202A;"?

> This is fine, but in a later XML->HTML
> conversion, I need to output those attribute values as text,
> and the ampersand in the entities is being escaped so that
> the output text looks something like this: &amp;eacute;
> instead of this: &eacute;

No sequence of pure XSLT transformations can lead to this result, unless
you use disable-output-escaping somewhere along the line, in which case
you deserve what you get.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx