Re: [xsl] controller stylsheet. performance, best practices question

Subject: Re: [xsl] controller stylsheet. performance, best practices question
From: Terence Kearns <terencek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:03:05 +1000
Alexander Johannesen wrote:

But then, what you need to work out is a) how often will your templates
be called? (what is your traffic?), and b) is the technology chosen
the right one for the job. You'd be amazed what can be achieved with
some fancy XSLT, but that doesn't make it clever to do so. Same goes
for PHP; it isn't the fastest beast around, so if your system is
expecting high traffic, compiled PHP (or some other technology) might
be in order. Maybe just plain HTML could do the trick? Nothing beats
plain HTML in performance. :)

too true. unfortunately I need to display information based on near real-time changes. I've always thought of XSLT beuing an added performance hit to the application, but somtimes the money saved in development/maintenence time outweighs the cost of better hardware :)
And then again, sometimes not, but it also makes a good excuse for lazy programers ;)
Anyway so if I'm gonna live with the performance overhead of XSLT (which I have already decided to do), I may as well do what I can to find out how to reduce the hit as much as possible.
You comments on XPath are very useful. XPath is my weak point at the moment. I will have to work harder to rectify that and understand what makes some xpath queries faster than others.
I'm sure this forum has already provided a lot of advice in this area, I'll have to search the archives a bit.