Re: [xsl] Stylesheet overrides

Subject: Re: [xsl] Stylesheet overrides
From: "Mike Haarman" <mhaarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 22:30:17 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl J. Stubsjoen" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Next week... but I'll mention it real quick today, I might be asking
> questions about stylesheet overrides / template overrides.  Is there such a

Hey, Karl,

How about the first link returned by the search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=xslt+template+override

or a few of these:

http://www.biglist.com/cgi-bin/wilma/wilma_glimpse/xsl-list?query=override%3B+templates&Search=Search&errors=0&maxfiles=50&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=case&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=restricttofiles

>  Can
> this be done?

This would be a primary reason for choosing XML/XSL as a technology.  There are
numerous ways to implement robust global behavior in stylesheets with extremely
fine-grained localization/personalization.

I am inclined to assign some homework for this weekend.

a) xsl:include and xsl:import are merely one facility expressly designed to meet
these requirements:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Combining-Stylesheets

b) The mode attribute of apply-templates can be used to facilitate dynamic,
localized behavior.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#modes

c) The xsl:attribute-set production and its friends xsl:attribute and
xsl:use-attribute-sets are also finely suited to solutions for this class of
problem:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#attribute-sets

d) The common xsl:param and xsl:with-param productions have default/override
behaviors:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Passing-Parameters-to-Templates

e) And this section of the rec addresses the question directly:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#apply-imports

I admit to enjoy observing the development of understanding as reflected by the
quality of questions and the evident development in the templates newbies offer
the list as they grown in knowledge, nevertheless I think you would do well to
do some background work of your own at this point.  The more you can offer the
list in terms of understanding the technology and expressing yourself clearly
within the domain, the more likely you are to receive guidance you can use.

Looking forward to hearing from you in a week or two.  ;-)

Mike