[xsl] Re: Creating unique node attributes in output

Subject: [xsl] Re: Creating unique node attributes in output
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 19:04:26 +0200
"Gregory Propf" <gpropf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3EB3E7C6.6010004@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am trying to write a stylesheet that processes an xml file and assigns
> a globally unique id tag to the output of each node I process.  These
> tags are not present in the original xml.  I thought of just creating a
> variable and incrementing it and using that but it seems that varaibles
> are not really so variable in xsl.  How is this done?

In the general case even using generate-id() will not provide uniqueness --
the same node may be produced many times, or sometimes different nodes (in
temporary trees) are assigned the same (re-used when a temporary tree has
been disposed of) id.

This is a typical use-case for a Monad.

I would be at XML Europe next week and if somebody would be interested I can
demonstrate the current Monadic Computation implementation, which is part of
FXSL.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.