Re: [xsl] XSLT In the Build Process?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT In the Build Process?
From: Mitch Amiano <mitch.amiano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 11:01:42 -0400
Passin, Tom wrote:
[me@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Mitch Amiano wrote:
snip
using XML, and used XSLT templates to pump out C++.
Anyone else have experience long-term applying a similar approach?

I have used XML + XSLT = SQL on several projects to
allow for webservice type database control. Works well.
I have used xslt to create SQL DDL for creating database tables to hold
data from HTML forms, where the form itself was created from an XML file
using xslt.  The same XML templates that were transformed (with xslt)
into the form served as the source for the DDL.

We used to do this sort of thing with 4GL languages and Unix scripts (perl/awk/sed). So XML has completed the displacement of 4GL environments begun by HTML forms.

I like the idea that such a solution can be tailor fit to the local needs, and despite this highly specialized customization and integration you *still* end up with a production system implemented with understandable components and standardized languages.

However, I've found it is still difficult to get developers to understand the semantics - this being perhaps the most difficult part of transitioning and getting such a tool adopted by others - and moreso if the XML encodes just a characterization of the domain. If it attempts to be a programming language, it seems to be easier to get programmers to adopt it, but conversely less useful as a code factoring tool.

- Mitch