[xsl] XPath: better way to check for text nodes that aren't descendents of x or y nodes?

Subject: [xsl] XPath: better way to check for text nodes that aren't descendents of x or y nodes?
From: "Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:08:46 -0500
Hi all,
My requirement is to check for validity of certain XML data as follows:
all text() nodes descended from . must be descendants of either llcd:vernac
or llcd:gloss.
(By the way, if it helps, the llcd:vernac or llcd:gloss will be descendants
of . too, not ancestors.)

My current test is
 test=".//text()[not(ancestor::llcd:vernac | ancestor::llcd:gloss)]"

If this test is true, the data is invalid.

But is there a more efficient way to do this?
Something that checks for llcd:vernac|llcd:gloss along the way,
instead of going down the descendant axis and then back up the
ancestor axis (twice)?  Something along the lines of
  test="./(not(llcd:vernac|llcd:gloss)/)*/text()"
where * means "0 or more times".

I guess I could do
 test="count(.//text()) >
       count(.//llcd:vernac//text() | .//llcd:gloss//text())"
but I'm not sure that's any more efficient.

This is not a big deal, just wanting to be as efficient as reasonably
possible.

Lars