[xsl] extensions and XSLT 2.0

Subject: [xsl] extensions and XSLT 2.0
From: Frédéric Laurent <fl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:21:35 +0200
Hello

I've got some questions about element/instruction extensions in the
specification of XSLT 2.0.
The definition concerning the data mapping between XPath types and
java/ecmascript... types, described in the version 1.1 has disappeared.
Same thing for the definition of the XSLTContext interface...
Moreover, the specification uses the "implementation-defined" term severals
times in the chapter 18.

So my questions are :
- if I want to write an extension function, I have to read implementation
documentation, and use the provided interfaces/objects... But there is a
good chance that 2 implementations define 2 kinds of interface for the
same purpose.
Then, is it right to say that my java (or python or C) extension developped
with a specific processor wouldn't work with another processor ?
I thought the main goal of XSLT 1.1 was portability ! So I don't
understand...

- the xsl:script has been banished. well ! but, how does the processor
make the link between the QName of the function and its implementation ?
For one function, if I provide two implementations (for instance java
and javascript), which one will be chosen ?

- wich document may describe the old appendice C (ie type conversion) ?
Will it be implementation-defined ?

thanks in advance for any response

--
Frédéric Laurent