[xsl] #include for XML?

Subject: [xsl] #include for XML?
From: Jason Varsoke <jvarsoke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:16:14 -0700 (PDT)
I'm trying to split up a very large XML file.  All the smaller files
need to reference nodes (using REFID) that I've put in a common.xml
file.

In C i'd use a #include to make it seem like smaller.xml + common.xml
are really one file in the eyes of the compiler.  But how do I do that
in XML to they are the same in the eyes of the Validator?

And I'm not sure if this is the same question or not, but I'm intending
to use these xml files in a XSL script.  I've heard document() might be
the way to go, but I don't really understand how to use it along with
the id() function.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've read several similar
questions but can't seem to apply the responses to my problem
successfully.

thanks

-j