Re: [xsl] XSL and DOM

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL and DOM
From: david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:58:17 -0700

Paramdeep Ahuja <paahuja@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> XSL transforms a source DOM tree into a target DOM Tree separate from the
> source.

Neither the source tree nor the result tree is necessarily an instance of
the DOM.  In fact, the result tree often is not materialized, as many XSLT
processors serialize the result of the transformation as it is being
generated.

> Is it possible to apply the transformation on only a part of the
> source DOM Tree and the changes be done in the same tree itself rather
than
> create a new DOM Tree as XSLT does

It is possible to apply a transformation to part of the source tree, but no
XSLT processor I know of modifies the source tree in-place.  In fact, such
behavior is not allowed in a conformant XSLT processor.

> I wanted to know if this can be done through some tool developed in Xalan
C++

No, it cannot.

Dave