Re: [xsl] empty string

Subject: Re: [xsl] empty string
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:39:36 -0400
You can, however, generate an element or attribute node which has no content, which serializes (or doesn't, depend on how you look at it) as an "empty string" and/or which processing software can easily "recognize" as an "empty string".

Why you would want to put an empty string into output, as (was it?) Mike said, is another question. I suppose if we reversed it to say "not put a string with any content" into output, it's easier to see -- yet that's easy, you just do nothing!

I love philosophy early in the day.

Cheers,
Wendell

At 07:42 PM 6/17/2003, Mike wrote:
Yan, Charlene wrote:
> Is there a way to put an empty string in xsl.

No, not a truly empty string. XSLT is about generating a DOM-like tree of
nodes from which linear output, such as a series of bytes representing an
encoded string, is typically derived automatically. The production of a text
node requires the presence of at least one character. The character could be
a space or other non-printing character though.

___&&__&_&___&_&__&&&__&_&__&__&&____&&_&___&__&_&&_____&__&__&&_____&_&&_ "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau