RE: [xsl] xsl:sort in old MSXML

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:sort in old MSXML
From: "Jim Fuller" <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:07:05 +0100

those features are optional to use, take a look at www.exslt.org when using such extension functions and addressing concerns of portability across different XSLT processors

> available in other processors though going to get errors when
> processing under different environments (for instance, the
> clients that do not have MSXML installed on their machine
> will not be able to see the trasnformation, and I guess the
> same occurs with Saxon).

well use u could design an app that takes advantage of client side processing, or just have everything server side.

thats why i said to just start using it, go through examples, buy a book, goto www.dpawson.co.uk and learn some of the fundamentals.

> (1) could be in server side, client side or both?

yes to both

> (2) could be in server side, client side or both?
> Where does (2) takes place? in server side, client side or both?

these types of questions really are not about architecture, but 'where' xslt processing takes place, which could be in both the client or server...its up to you to decide where.

> If (2) takes place in server side, do I need to have
> Saxon/MSXML/"other processor" in the server?

well, yes.....I think that u may be thinking that xslt is somehow bounded to html browsers....they are not, it just so happens that xslt is supported in IE and Mozilla, which is great.

> If (2) takes place in client side, does the client machine
> need to have Saxon/MSXML/"other processor" installed on it?

wherever XSLT processing takes place, be it in the client or server, will require an xslt processor to be installed.

cheers, jim
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any other use of this communication is strictly prohibitedand may be unlawful. Stuart Lawrence Marketing Communications Limited reserves the right to monitor and intercept communications for unlawful business purposes.

This also confirms that this message has been swept for viruses, although Stuart Lawrence Marketing Communications Limited accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or contents.