RE: [xsl] Parsing xsl:variable into HTML

Subject: RE: [xsl] Parsing xsl:variable into HTML
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:31:28 +0100

> How can I pass the value of a xsl:variable into the id of a checkbox?
>
> My code looks like this:
>
> <xsl:variable name="CB_ID">
>      <xsl:value-of select = "ID"/>
> </xsl:variable>

> <input type="checkbox" id="?????" onclick=""/>
>
> ???? What do I need to fill in here to get the value of the
> variable CB_ID?

Write input type="checkbox" id="{$CB_ID}" onclick=""/>

It's called an "attribute value template" which should help you to look
it up in your favourite XSLT book.

By the way, try to get out of the habit of writing

> <xsl:variable name="CB_ID">
>      <xsl:value-of select = "ID"/>
> </xsl:variable>

when you could write

<xsl:variable name="CB_ID" select="ID"/>

This might seem a cosmetic difference, but you're putting the XSLT
processor to a lot of trouble to construct a tree, or to work out that
you don't actually need one, when all that you need is a string.

Michael Kay