RE: [xsl] Make safe XML

Subject: RE: [xsl] Make safe XML
From: "Jim Fuller" <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:38:56 +0100
> Hello,
>
> I have a database that I'd like to persist to XML.  I'm going

what database ? if u are using ADO and MSXML4 maybe u are using SQL, which has many useful methods for generating xml from normal SQL data.

> to use XSLT to
> insure that the data in each of the fields is suited for XML.
>  Since I have
> complete control over this data, should I:

> a)  use XSLT to encode special characters

huh ? not sure what u are talking about here, XSLT the language, does little in the way of encoding special characters, though you can control the encoding of the result ( output ) of the transformation using the xsl:output statement

> b)  just throw all data into CDATA nodes?

ummmm, I always suggest to try and avoid CDATA at all costs, basically you are then hiding data.....

your questions are leading me to believe that u might be having issues with XML reserved characters like &, <, and >.....

might want to have a look over at http://www.perfectxml.com/ and http://www.topxml.com .

more info = more help

gl, jim fuller
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any other use of this communication is strictly prohibitedand may be unlawful. Stuart Lawrence Marketing Communications Limited reserves the right to monitor and intercept communications for unlawful business purposes.

This also confirms that this message has been swept for viruses, although Stuart Lawrence Marketing Communications Limited accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or contents.