[xsl] Re: adding space in xslt and trimming last space in java-problem

Subject: [xsl] Re: adding space in xslt and trimming last space in java-problem
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:25:31 +0200
"remko de knikker" <remko.deknikker@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3F15AE13.7040209@xxxxxxxxxxx
> situation:
>
> I have an XML-file that contains a sequence of ids. I need to transform
> this to a String of space separated ids.
> So I transform the xml to a text file and after each id-node I add a
> space, like this:
>
> <xsl:template match="*">
>     <xsl:for-each select="//ns1:genbankid">
>         <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>&#xa0;</xsl:for-each>
> </xsl:template>

A number of observations:

1. You have put inside a template matching every element code that does not
depend on the current node. It may be executed several times and this is a
mistake.

2. & # x a 0 ; without the intervening spaces is a character reference for
the so-called "non-breaking space" -- it has nothing to do with the space
character.

3. Your problem is artificial and it must be eliminated in your XSLT code --
no need to call an extension function.

Add code, which tests if the position of the current node in the node-list
is not the last -- only then output your whateverSpace character.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.