RE: [xsl] rss, in all its guises

Subject: RE: [xsl] rss, in all its guises
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:47:24 +0100

I dropped to a two stage.
  1. Java to read, check for well-formed only and save to disk
That kills non well-formed content.

So far I've had to introduce two moded processes for specific feeds
that I wanted, to overcome 'bad' rss.

> 2. RSS documents often contain escaped markup hidden inside
> CDATA sections.

Grrr :-)
  Not in CDATA sections either. See Tim Brays blog.

> Both of these are severe violations of the letter and spirit of the
> XML spec.
Which makes necho interesting, especially using relaxng.

 They make it effectively impossible to handle RSS with XML
> tools. For these reasons, I used RSS as an example of not to design
> an XML application in Effective XML.

Pity the content is so interesting though. Makes processing 'fun' ?

> The next version of RSS *may* perhaps fix these problems.

Why do I feel you'd write the same thing in 12 months time?
2.0 isn't much better in terms of implementation is it.

 However,
> right now there seem to be a lot of developers who prefer to work
> with ugly, broken, non-XML than to make the minimal effort to
> generate well-formed XML that uses markup as markup and text as text.
> They are being penny-wise and pound-foolish.
<grin/> Or just getting what they want and annoying people used to valid
XML?

 I am not optimistic
> about the future of RSS as a result.

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/FrontPage

regards DaveP.

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk