RE: [xsl] Techniques for transforming content like

Subject: RE: [xsl] Techniques for transforming content like
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:04:46 +0100

> Ok, that worked in my test case (using Xalan 2.4.1).  When you say
> "where it is supported", do you mean this isn't a standard feature?

It's a standard feature of the language that may only be optionally
supported. In particular it only makes sense to support it if you are
linearising the result tree to a file or a string etc, some xslt systems
(eg mozilla's) output the result as a dom tree and so linearisation
hints saying < characters in text nodes should be linearised as < not
&lt; don't do anything (and the xslt spec explictly says it can be
ignored)

having said that this use is really what d-o-e is there for and is a
more or less legitimate use, given the input.

It is oftn used (and generates much abuse from people on this list when
it is so used) to try to generate start tags in one template and closing
tags in another, a sign that people have missed the tree-transformaion
paradigm of xslt, but grabbing a chunk of escaped XML and outputting it
unescaped is more or less OK, but not strictly portable.

David