Re: [xsl] Whitespace in Table Cells

Subject: Re: [xsl] Whitespace in Table Cells
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:00:30 -0400
Neil,

Whitespace is definitely perplexing, and I am afraid it is doomed always to be, at least until you get used to the different methods and madnesses of the way different processors handle it.

It does sound, however, as though yours is a problem best addressed by separating out the problem of designing the rendering, from implementing the code that creates the rendering. In other words, first, it is an HTML problem: figure out what HTML code will work, and then figure out how to write the XSLT to generate it.

If you could show a code sample (or two) of HTML that you know does the right thing, post that and some source, and it'll be much clearer how to get from here to there. Or the problem might just solve itself.

As for whether IE is different from other renderers, the short answer is that yes there is some fudginess in IE in this particular area (whitespace handling), but it's only an incidental complication to your problem, not the problem itself. (You need not only to get the stylesheet working in IE, you also need to know why it works the way it does, which involves also knowing what *should* be happening.) In fact, I think you'd do well to address this outside of IE first -- get the transformation working in Xalan or Saxon, then move it to IE; if a known conformant processor does one thing and IE another, the reason for this is likely to be known to some reader of this list. Knowing whether this disparity between IE and other processors is actually the root of your issue, however, is impossible without seeing more specifics of your code.

Cheers,
Wendell