RE: [xsl] testing which files have same element/@code

Subject: RE: [xsl] testing which files have same element/@code
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:14:55 +0100
> What I want to do is given a @code as an xsl:param or variable
> look through each file in filelist.xml to produce a list of
> those files which contain a @code that matches, outputting
> something like say an html form (assuming file3.xml doesn't contain
> a bar/@code='124')

Well you *could* do this in xslt using the the document() function, but
building a dom each time just to check for the occurance of attribute
would be really wasteful.

I would SAX parse your filelist.xml to obtain your list of files.  Then
SAX parse each of thoes files in turn to find the ones with the matching
@code.

Once you have a list of matching files, use JDOM or David Megginson's
xmlWriter (or preferrably generate SAX events directly from the java
list, as I mentioned in the previous post) to create the XML of matching
files.  Then style that with your stylesheet.

Of coure, you could just write the html directly from your java
list-of-matching-files, but as this is the xsl-list and that technique
goes against the whole separation-of-content-from-style idea, you don't
want to do that :)

cheers
andrew